Worldwide, more than 700 million of women alive today were married as children. Child marriages, early pregnancies and sexual violence are major causes for girls dropping out of school. There is still a big gap between boys and girls when it comes to completion rates. Edukans closes the gap and creates equal education opportunities. Our approach is transformative for both girls and boys including their communities. We involve local civil society organisations in the execution of our work and coordinate and cooperate our strategies with governments and the private sector. We empower girls, eliminate discrimination and harmful practices and create safe learning environments. This leads to increased transition of girls to secondary education, higher completion rates and better learning outcomes.
Ambition 2020We aim for 400 school communities supporting comprehensive sexuality education to eliminate gender disparities and harmful practices. To empower 100,000 girls and boys we involve:
- 400 schools
- 1,000 teachers
- 45 health centres
- 90 health workers
- Civil society (parent-teacher associations, school boards, youth organisations, community based organisations)
- Increased transition from primary to secondary education.
- Near equal completion rates for girls and boys
- Near zero cases of child marriage, early marriage and gender based violence (GBV).
PromiseWe prevent girls from school failure and dropping out of school. By 2020 100,000 girls and boys are empowered to:
- Access education and stay in school pursuing post-primary education
- Make informed and healthy SRHR decisions