Worldwide, more than 700 million of women alive today were married as children. Child marriages, early pregnancies and sexual violence are major causes for girls dropping out of school. There is still a big gap between boys and girls when it comes to completion rates. Edukans closes the gap and creates equal education opportunities. Our approach is transformative for both girls and boys including their communities. We empower girls, eliminate discrimination and harmful practices and create safe learning environments. This leads to increased transition of girls to secondary education, higher completion rates and better learning outcomes.
We aim for 400 school communities supporting comprehensive sexuality education to eliminate gender disparities and harmful practices.
To empower 100,000 girls and boys we involve:
- 400 schools
- 1,000 teachers
- 45 health centres
- 90 health workers.
Edukans looks after:
- Increased transition from primary to secondary education.
- Near equal completion rates for girls and boys
- Near zero cases of child marriage, early marriage and gender based violence.
We prevent girls from school failure and dropping out of school. By 2020 100,000 girls and boys are empowered to:
- Access education and stay in school pursuing post-primary education
- Make informed and healthy SRHR decisions
Relevant stakeholders in and around school ensure and sustain a safe learning environment, girls rights to education and SRHR.